Back | Reverse |

Re: Gendou RPer's United~!
Link | by on 2010-08-15 16:38:37
@ Jon- I hope Kenji can get it together too, right now everyone is split up into different groups with Free and Dream.

Ahaha, RP romance. Well, I don't mind anything as long as it's not too descriptive (Like with Vivian and Fenris' romance in Free and Dream XD).

I think limiting the cast of RP's is a bad thing. What if you have a lot of people drop out, and yet their spot is also critical for the RP to continue? Plus it's good to have too many people in an RP than too few, then if a few people have to drop out it wouldn't be as bad if they did so.

With the character archetypes, there's always one "cool but mysterious" guy in every RP. Personally I like it when my character has a bit of a unique personality, it gives the character more of a personal touch. Another type that comes up a lot is the "cute, energetic, but ditzy" girl, although that type isn't as common as the "cool but mysterious" guy, it still is common.

And Haseo is right, playing as the opposite gender is a lot harder. I've only had 2 male characters ever, and both of them never played a big part in the story. As I said to Cloak a few posts back, I like to play as a female character, and a relatively young one at that, so I can relate to them.

Link | by Black Rock Shooter! on 2010-08-15 17:04:21 (edited 2010-08-15 17:04:46)
@Jon
My point exactly, if there's still participants even if there's less than a quarter left, I'd rather have it continue on. We can always improvise later on. Then again, there are cases where the RP Master did try to continue on only to see his post on that RP becomes the last post for eternity...

Romance eh, I usually would try to make romance an ambiguous thing in a RP. There was a few exceptions, but still kept it in a safe for work level

When I make an RP, I'll make it open for all. Still, I prefer to have at least a minimum four RPers in one RP, and maybe a maximum of 7 to 10.

Yeah agree with Toyumi there, the 'cool but mysterious' guy archetype will always be there. Then there's the 'mysterious guy with a mysterious past' archetype. I personally hate this (sorry to say that).

Oddly enough, I've had my fair share of playing as characters of opposite genders. I don't really find it that hard to play as a female character. I tend to keep in mind what kind of personality that character has. I'm not sure if this is due to experience in RPing or maybe because lots of shoujo manga did this...

Find me at Twitter and Google+

Link | by on 2010-08-15 17:15:29 (edited 2010-08-15 17:21:54)
@Toyumi - I think it's mainly because Ken got rid of his lead character and replaced him with a villain character as his main. He doesn't really get to interact with other characters that much and it's almost impossible for him to keep everyone in one place.

And yeah, the Vivian/Fenris thing is starting to move past adorable and in to not PG-13 stuff at the moment. You guys have gone like 3 pages with nothing but kissy stuff. Not sure how you do it.

@Kay - That's happened to me on more than a few occasions. In just about every RP I've made, I am the last one to post. >.>

Romance is pretty easy between characters used by the same person, it's only when the characters are owned by two different people that it becomes a bit difficult to do romance. It's kind of obvious when someone creates two characters of the opposite gender (as I often do), but I find it works a little better since the characters can interact basically anytime you want (as opposed to just when the other member posts).

I think most stuff is alright in terms of descriptions. Implied actions and some innuendo is alright, as long as nothing is explicitly described. The most I've ever done in an RP is implied acts.

I usually stick to a certain character type, so as far as I'm concerned I'm not really a very interesting person to have in an RP. I am using a character type in Valkyria Chronicles (RP) that closely resembles my real life self. In God Child I had an intelligently speaking, very well mannered, non joking character. Other than those two examples however I haven't really experimented much. I usually play a caring but serious character, reserved, with a dark sense of humor who usually questions everything and doesn't speak a lot.

I don't like to close the casting for the reasons that Toyumi mentioned. The last thing you want to do is tell people who could be interested in joining that they can't, because they may not bother to come back in the event that you do re-open casting. On the other hand, I find that if there are too many characters in an RP it tends to lead to an increase in drop outs since with more people posting it becomes harder to follow along with the story.

I haven't really played many Female characters, I've only had 1 that was my main character, while the others have been more like supporting characters. I don't really know how well I play female characters. I am slightly in touch with my feminine side, but I'm still probably a bad female character RP'er. Like Haseo said, I certainly don't understand how girls think. >.>

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Link | by zen on 2010-08-15 17:51:04 (edited 2010-08-15 17:52:48)
Okay my view? In romance in RP, i think it's acceptable but like Haseo had said it's hard but it will have some twist that sometimes made an effect in the flow of the story.

I think it's not advisable to limit characters so that we can avoid dying of an RP. As we all know, the major problem of an RP is dying so to avoid such thing, we can have high number of players in an RP.

Hmm... Archetypes...i thinks it's cool to pop up some time. Like in Scarborough and Vagabond Survivors, I usually popped out of nowhere well, it is part of my characteristics since my role in Vagabond is a ninja but besides that, I think characters who are archetypes are good for me specially if a member is new in RP and gaining some experience on how to play it.

I admit, playing as an opposite gender is really hard. XD I think I had a 2 guy characters which didn't take a major role in an RP but I think in Night Academy, i find it not a fail since Sayuri help me with the role.
----
I was wondering...since Toyumi is the RP Club leader and founder and has a technical skills when making signatures and avatar, what about we make an RP icon? ^^

Gendou RPer's United~!

Keiko Kubota (窪田 啓子)
&
Homura Akemi (暁美 ほむら)
are CLAIMED

By ZEN

Link | by on 2010-08-15 19:26:47
@ Jon- You don't seem too fond of the romance going on in Free and Dream. XD
Well, we haven't had much to do, and it's their wedding, they have to act all lovey dovey and stuff like that (Plus when I post in the morning I have some plans that will get them moving and out of that lovey stuff, along with getting them out of the Clef Estate as well).

@ Zen- I already made an icon (I'm actually using it in my sig now). Check the first post, I put it at the bottom there.

Link | by Renma on 2010-08-15 20:01:55
Enough with the lurking around, I Guess. A little chat with Jon yesterday intrigued me to post a little bit in here xD.

I Wonder why,, I keep playing as an opposite gender even until now, heh. I Guess I can at least roleplay okay-ish as both genders. Although I Still prefer roleplaying as a male character instead of a female character. However, the one thing I enjoy the most in making a Character bio is the "hunt" for appearance picture.... and for some reasons, I enjoyed it more whenever I'm looking for female characters pictures |D;; can't be helped, maybe that's one of the main reasons why I roleplay as a female character more often.

Ah.. Archetype? my characters usually have the same personality these days. Either a Hot Blooded-easily angered male, Easy going-laidback male/female, or a cool looking, yet soft inside female character (What you all may refer as Tsundere). Of course, The characters I mentioned are not necessarily roleplayed in Gendou. I do roleplay occassionally on another place.

As for Romance, I never plan for any (nor do I want to) because of several personal reasons. However, sometimes I consider the "More than a friend, not yet a lover" kind of a relationship between characters. I prefer to leave it at that state rather than making it a true romance. |3

Link | by Icarael on 2010-08-16 02:26:41
@Jon: Thanks, I'm glad you liked God Child. That was my first use of the "Rule of Cool" (which was apparently later adopted by Roxas), and I planned to make full use of it, letting the entire roster pull off "beyond-the-impossible" stunts while going up against nigh-unbeatable foes. Perhaps when I get some time and there's more activity here, I'll revive it. Until then, I've got Immortal Machina to manage, and it's going pretty good so far.

@Zen: Yeah, looks like a lot of the Immortal Machina crew is here. XD I guess we can discuss IM here and plot things out.

+WARNING! MILD SOAPBOX AHEAD!+

So, you want my opinions on things?

@Romance: I think romance in RPs is OK, so long as it doesn't take up the whole thread and become a nuisance, or go into NSFW territory. So long as those two criteria are satisfied, I don't give two cents whether your bishonen ninja and RandomRolePlayer1234's pretty boy alchemist get into a homoerotically-charged relationship- heck, I'll even support it (I'm a yaoi fanboy). For example, if Our Days Under The Sky had gone on, I think Rhiennah and Tory would have had some sort of romance. And I don't mind that. I actually planned that.

Granted, I don't mind NSFW stuff. I've read my share of doujins and lemons. I've found some NSFW RPs I enjoy (like LiveJournal's Dept. Heaven: Apocrypha series). But as they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. And that's why I keep romance in RPs PG-13. Were the rules different, I would do something else entirely.

@Limiting cast members: This depends upon your RP. If you're making an RP about Fate/Stay Night's Grail Wars, or an RP where an alien recruits five teenagers with attitude to fight the forces of evil, then obviously you're gonna have to put limits. However, I find that most RPs don't need them.

The only limitation I impose on casting is that if anyone wants to join after I've started, then they have to PM me for permission. That's it. If they really want to RP, then they'll take the time to bang out a short PM to me. And if they don't follow up afterward? No biggie.

@Archetypes: TVTropes (blame Hentaimaster for introducing me to that time-waster!) is a massive repository of archetypes. I'm certain all of our characters fall into the range of at least one trope.

But archetypes, or tropes, for that matter, are tools for building your character, not the finished product. You have to expand beyond the archetype of the grumpy old man or the Idiot Hero into who exactly your character is and why we should give a damn about him. I see too many RPers who go with the "cool, mysterious guy" or the "hate-filled survivor of this catastrophe or that". I don't like that one bit.

Granted, I'm no paragon of character development. I'm no Shakespeare or Alan Moore. I've made my share of one-dimensional cliche storms. But I try to make my characters something other than a one-sided caricature. I don't know if I've ever succeeded, but I'm gonna try nevertheless. And I expect everyone to try.

@Invites: I don't send out invites: to me, it feels like spamming. Let my RP stand or fall on its own merits and faults. If people want to join, they will join. After all, the link is there on the front page, right?

But hey, if others want to pimp their RP to me via PM, I don't mind. I read the PM as I would any other.

@RPing as the opposite gender: I don't think I've ever done that. Perhaps I should try that sometime.

In the end, whatever my opinions may be, I believe that RPs, whether you're the GM or a player, should be all about fun, not about trying to regulate everything or imposing your likes and dislikes on people. It's not a matter of life or death or "Serious Business." As my signature says, "it's all pretendy fun time games."

Part of the New Breed of Gendou RPers: Haseo, Fenris, Roxas, Zero, Toyumi and Kyosuke.

Link | by zen on 2010-08-16 07:22:12
@Toyumi_wow nice! XD I haven't seen it when i posted that same goes to your siggy...well thankies! \o/

@Icarael_well nice to see you here RP Master of Immortal Machina. XD

--

Okay...
In joining an RP, what type of RP that caught your interest? What's your preference in an RP?

Gendou RPer's United~!

Keiko Kubota (窪田 啓子)
&
Homura Akemi (暁美 ほむら)
are CLAIMED

By ZEN

Link | by on 2010-08-16 08:15:33
@ Zen- No problem. And as for RP preferences, I actually like RP's that aren't based on a certain anime. Getting influences from an anime is a different story, but if it has the same sort of plot as an anime then I end up going away from them. I like RP's with some sort of originality to them. Which is also why I don't like making characters with the same appearance and name and personality as a character from an anime, I usually just try to use the appearance of a character I don't know at all or very well, and give them a different name and personality and powers.
Oh and I also seem to go for fantasy and Sci-Fi Rp's a lot too, don't ask me why. Slice of life ones are okay I guess, but they have to have some sort of different element in them (Like the RP I'm planning, it's a mystery type slice of life XD).

Link | by zen on 2010-08-16 10:06:34
I forgot to say my preferred RP...silly me. XD Ohwell...Hm...I usually go to fantasy, action, and mysterious. I appreciate RP inspired by anime but I love RP that is unique and original. I only got 1 character from an anime based on its own personality. I think I chose 2 characters which I love the most but change their personalities. My original character that is existing is in Vagabond Survivors, which I chose as my original and unique character personality.

@Toyumi...wow...well, true, it's interesting to join an RP which is unique and original cause we tend to be curious and got interested since it's new for us. Hm...so you're making a mystery type slice of life? Mystery is interesting, I'll be looking forward to it. ^^ Can you tell a brief story of it? XD Looks like my joined RP will have another on the list. XD

@Icarael_now that I remember, Immortal is active though the players who tends to post last day is the same who post another day...to make it short, the number of players is decreasing XD and we got new member? I hope he/she not a show and has a plan a plan to contribute in the plot.

Gendou RPer's United~!

Keiko Kubota (窪田 啓子)
&
Homura Akemi (暁美 ほむら)
are CLAIMED

By ZEN

Link | by on 2010-08-16 10:23:37
I've done enough lurking, now to jump in the ship.

I tend to choose original, action and fantasy RP alot. Although I've played some anime based rp, it didn't go far. I preffered an RP that gave me a little bit of freedom in creation be it fact or plot so RP that isn't based on anime is the best choice. Also slice of life RP didn't really trigger my interest.

@Zen-It's the same trend to any other RP. Starts with hundreds candidates, end up with 4. Immortal Machina RP for me still going strong.

Photobucket

Link | by on 2010-08-16 10:31:49
@Night
I agree with you on that, so far the only rp that is still going is Vongola DNA, Free and Dream and Immortal Machina from what I could tell.

I especially hate it when half the people who joined did not even posted at all when the rp had started. Get's kind of annoying.

Link | by on 2010-08-16 10:33:23 (edited 2010-08-16 10:52:03)
@Icarael - I despise TVTropes precisely because once you wind up on the site, you get stuck there reading up on terms for so long. Usually whenever I get to that site I end up there for an hour or two just reading up on different tropes, opening up links I come across in each new paragraph to new tabs. >.> It eats away so much time.

@Renma - I like doing that too. I recently created a folder on my desktop to store pictures for use as RP characters. I have a lot of them on my Photobucket account, but it's hard to find them in that mess (since I don't organize by albums), so I find it much easier to keep them in a folder. I tend to use the same picture for my male character though, since I don't have many good anime pics of male characters.

@Zen - I don't mind RP's based on anime or games (if I am relatively familiar with the source material) as long as it does not follow the story of the original exactly. I have no problem with using places, terms, items, etcetera, but the story has to be original and not simply copied from the game or anime. I don't really have a certain kind of RP that I look for. I just join RP's that catch my interest once I've read over the story and whatnot, however I do love naval military style RP's, space or otherwise. I've got a 'thing' for naval combat and ranks in video games, RP's, anime or movies/tv.

@Zero - I find that tends to happen when the RP doesn't start fast enough. It happens a lot anyway, but usually if you wait too long when setting up, then people forget about it after joining and just don't go back to it.

Dawn of Dreams is still hanging on as well and will hit 100 posts pretty soon, even though it's a month old, and Valkyria Chronicles was dying but got a shot of new cast members. Free and Dream has held on for a long time despite being down to about 5 members without the presence of the RP Creator for about a month.

AWP is still alive and that one has been going since 2007. There are others that have managed to stay alive as well (such as Trainers Quest), but they haven't been posted in for about 2 to 3 weeks, so I'm not sure if they are still going or not.

I guess a better term to use would be which RP's are still healthy, as opposed to which ones are alive or dead.

I see Zen used the term RP Master there. What do you all think are the qualities that makes someone an 'RP Master' (as in a great RP'er, not the same term used to describe the RP Creator).

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Link | by zen on 2010-08-16 11:06:15
Hmm..great RP master? The one who follows of course rules. First things first. A well planned and organized plot. A RESPONSIBLE one, the very first quality for a RP master.Hmm..I think another one is being strict yet not strict, i think moderate. No BIAS! when it comes to characters. RP master also must have a critical thinking and logical thinking to find solution for the problem that commonly occur in an RP,perhaps? What do you think?

Gendou RPer's United~!

Keiko Kubota (窪田 啓子)
&
Homura Akemi (暁美 ほむら)
are CLAIMED

By ZEN

Link | by on 2010-08-16 11:22:53
@ Zen- Well, I can't really have a short summary of it yet, the first reason being that it will spoil the mystery part of it and that the RP will be divided into cases that the main group gets. Also, there's a 2 post rule now applied here (I said that a few posts back and added that to the first post), so just keep that in mind (You broke it a few posts back XD).

@ Jon- That's a good term, whether they're healthy or not (Other than dead or alive), since there are some RP's that are holding on, but whether they're getting posts often or still have a good number of people in them is a different matter. Like there were times when Free and Dream wasn't too active, but its still managed to hold on.
And as for RP Master, I don't really know. Just being a great RPer in general I guess, they make balanced characters and they follow the rules. They'll try their best to make sure an RP doesn't die, and like what Zen said they'll have a solution to any problem an RP might run into.

Link | by on 2010-08-16 11:26:21
well technically IM still an RPer... Though RL stuff is eating away at my time...

Username: kbaterina

Nickname: Xero

5 RP's you have been in:

ones I remember:
MIllenia: A tales of Fate
AWP 2(disk 1 and 2)
Valkyrja seson 3
Dark angel rebirth
High School chronicle
Ties of Blood: Memories of harmonia
Mana Drive: Memories of Campus Constania
Legend of dragoon
Midnight terror
Project Outbreak
Critic's freestyle Arena
Spell wars
Wrath of the frost: Fate of Azeroth
Angelic demonc warfare ch 1

there's a bunch there that I forgot in the sands of time...

Quote: Reality Sucks... So make your own...

@Jon-san: an RP master... one who at least tried to end the RP even when there are less then half of the players left... Also One who respects the other players and post with a sense of realism from their profiles to their actions in the RP itself...

Link | by on 2010-08-16 21:26:28
Hey guys, so I'm just now jumping in on the conversation here, and things kinda exploded... So whats up?

Link | by on 2010-08-17 07:40:29
@ Anke- Yeah it's kind of active here. XD
And now we're talking about what you would define an RP Master as, like what qualities would they need to be called one, etc.

Link | by Black Rock Shooter! on 2010-08-17 08:44:37 (edited 2010-08-17 08:45:03)
@Jon,
We're all planning to end AWP by disc 3! Which would mean, ending it in the next 1000 posts :D. Though I'm kinda glad it lasts for so long since AWP1 and AWP2 (disc 1 & 2). Hopefully this will be the next RP to have an ending like Gundam Seed Fate

Well, I guess one can be called an "RP Master" if he/she
-Knows what to say at the right timing.
-Know how to compromise (eg: know when to win or admit defeat).
-Reading posts after his/her previous post so an appropriate reply can be made
-Know how to handle different situations in a RP at the same time.
-Waiting for a few other to post before posting again.
-Reply regularly to ensure that RP won't go dead
-Inform the creator if quitting or being absent for a time period
-Handle different kinds of characters archtypes, be it cute, dojikko, cool, tsundere, silent, etc etc
-Crack in some jokes in between for laughs
-Gives suggestions and ideas to the creator to improve the RP
-Explaining your actions in greater detail to make it feel real! Instead of the traditional monotonous "A shoots B, B evades and countered", they can use "A fired a couple of times at B, B managed to evade, but noticed blood dripping on his left cheek seconds later. He smiled, wiping off the blood, then charges at A in an attempt to counter and disarm him" now isn't that better!?
-Doesn't always play the 'good guy', is willing to play as the antagonist
-Doesn't just kill off another RPer's character without warning

Find me at Twitter and Google+

Link | by on 2010-08-17 11:54:56
@ Toyumi - Thanks ^_^'

I guess an RP master would be someone who:

- Can play their character well
- Can play a character that has weaknesses
- Can form relationships with other characters
- Who takes responsibility and lets the creator when he/she will be absent (something I need to get better at :P)
- Who can generate interesting plots
- Who can play out comic relief
- Who can guide newer Role Players and help them feel comfortable
- Who knows the right degree of power in a character
- Who can effectively run their own RP (Another thing I need help with :D)

So yeah that's what I think is characteristic of a master role player. I need some work, but I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it :)

- Free and Dream is going strong because it's filled with some pretty talented people, and some great characters that are well played!!!

Back | Reverse |
Go to page: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ... 49 Displaying 61 to 80 of 983 Entries.

Copyright 2000-2024 Gendou | Terms of Use | Page loaded in 0.0169 seconds at 2024-04-25 08:31:23