Back | Reverse |

Re: Gendou RPer's United~!
Link | by zen on 2010-08-10 10:00:31
@Toyumi
Yeah, if the RPer's didn't find your RP interesting it's no use to PM them to join you. I'm not saying I'm against PM invites, all I'm saying is that, "fine I know you have a new RP and thanks for informing me" thing. It's up to the RPer's if he/she finds it interesting. Repetitive invites is really an annoyance so as much as possible I ignored just like you did.
About the declining part,I'm talking about the user who wants to join an RP in the very beginning. Like I've said, it's true if it's went too far, but if you avoid letting a RPer that is not truly devoted, why accept them if you know that it would surely let your RP die. Well like you as RP master, you tend to do things like PM'ing your member to post something if you can actually avoid it by giving some kind of qualification or something. I haven't heard of it sorry, so as you were saying, we can't avoid RPer's not anymore posting still it's a bit disappointing.

About the popularity thing, it's not the profile that matter it's the content and how you handle your character from the start and end of an RP. If you just want to join an RP just because you find it cool and just want to show-off your favorite character or you think a cool anime picture of a character, I advice them not to join at all. For me, RP is also a kind of literary works just like the poetry thead and writers' guild. It enhance your skill to come up with a story on the spot and it's not a joke to even post a single one. I just want to say that RP deserves respect and seriousness.

Gendou RPer's United~!

Keiko Kubota (窪田 啓子)
&
Homura Akemi (暁美 ほむら)
are CLAIMED

By ZEN

Link | by on 2010-08-10 11:50:51 (edited 2010-08-10 20:01:10)

Username: animegeishaprincess
Name: Sayuri

Rps I've joined.
→ War of Time
→ ~*~Jinguuji Academy~*~
→ Hunter or Hunted
→ Schools on Fury!!!
→ Vampire Blood
→ Lost Love
→ Ouran High School Host Club
→ School is now back in session!
→ A Fight Between the Species
→ High school of the gifted
→ Daybreaks' bell
→ Tsurugi Park
→ The Covenant Chapter 2: Disturbia
→ Nekomimi World
→ †•Creature♦Cure•†
→ Age of Destruction
→ Gifted: Chapter One
→ Heart no Kuni no Alice
→ 5 Seeds Project
→ Mystical Scope
→ Phantasmorgia
→ 「Angelus Project」
→ Last Impression
→ +Night Açadèmy+
→ Dawn of Dreams
→ The Azure Grimorie
→ Vocaloid RP! ~ Song of Life

Quote: "You're down for the count, but you're still coming back ever so strong."

@Zen: I know what you mean. But its even more annoying when the RP that
you get an invite from is an RP where there's always that one character
that's above everyone else. It's like saying, "I'm better than you, you're
just hear for show."

Edit
I'll just edit this post to avoid spam and what not.

@Toyumi: I don't like doing that either. And when you try to make your
characters balanced out, someone else gets upsets, mostly the creator
though.

So far the only rps I've seen that still continue to keep on going on even
though it dies out for a bit, they happen to make a recovery in a while.
AWP, Critic's Bar Freestyle Arena
Those are just a few I've seen die for a bit, but then come back again.

Well one way we can get people to continue to respond to RPs is if many don't
keep on creating while they just made a new rp within the last 2 months.
That's the one thing I've seen the most, a new RP by the same user, within
the last two months.
And also for RPs to have their own unique idea since another thing I've seen,
just base on my experience, that many tend to repeat the same idea over and
over again.

That's just what I'm saying.

Erk. Sorry this is a long post.

Link | by on 2010-08-10 19:23:36
@ Zen- I agree, RP's are serious business (Unless it's a comical-type RP), and people shouldn't join just to show off a character or something.

@ Sayuri- I hate that the most. If that character is too powerful, the others aren't as balanced and it just looks bad. There are times in certain RP's where I've actually had to make my characters overpowered for some posts just so it's fair. I hate to do it, but sometimes I have to. Even when I do it I feel bad, because it just proves your point about all the other characters just being there for show.

Speaking of this sort of problem, how can we prevent that sort of thing from happening and get people to actually respond and stay with the RP to make it successful?
I only have a few ideas for this (Like trying to keep the RP interesting and not dragging along or having it in the RP rules that only serious RPer's should join), but I'd like to hear more on this matter (Since this has been bugging me for awhile, seeing how so many RP's die from this).

Link | by on 2010-08-10 20:03:21 (edited 2010-08-10 20:06:19)
"Like trying to keep the RP interesting and not dragging along..."

That's what I'm attempting to do in my Valkyria Chronicles RP, but the problem with that is if you try and keep the action or interesting parts coming, you wind up time skipping a lot. I've done 2 or 3 time skips so far just so that we can hurry on to the action parts, and it might be causing problems for people in terms of keeping up with the story (granted, the skips have only been like 2 or 3 hour stretches of time). So even if you try and keep it interesting by throwing in more action, you run the risk of people getting lost and not knowing what's happening anymore, which is one of the big reasons people to drop out.

As for trying to keep people posting, I've started sending out Participation Check PM's and Summary PM's (whenever the plot advances enough) to check on people to see if they are still taking part and fill them in on what's happened so far, respectively. I find it works pretty well, since some people just need a little reminder from time to time. You also find out more quickly if someone has dropped out or not (since they either tell you in the Participation PM or just do not reply to it).

The thing about balanced characters is something that was pointed out by Anke in my RP Masters Guide to RP'ing thread. It's hard to enforce that though, since just about everyone wants their character to look like a badass or be cool. All you can really do is set specific guidelines in the character sheet (such as a limit of x number of spells).

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Link | by karuzo on 2010-08-10 21:50:35 (edited 2010-08-11 18:00:13)
Username: karuzo
Nickname: KM Revolution

-~Our Rose Colored Life~
-Meta-Bestia
-Phantasmargoria
Angelic Demonic Warfare(Ch. 1, 2)
Immortal Machina
The Covanant
Gifted Chapter 1
Destiny Card Battle
Infinity City [my RP due to lack of proper assessment it died]
Wald Märchen
A Wandering Path
AWP 2: Tales of Sumeria (Disc 1,2)
Valkyrja (Season 1,2,3)
The Melancholy of Existance
Ties of Blood: Memories of Harmonia
The Insane World
RaptaSigma RP
Lyrical Nanoha RP
Your Own Miracle
Star Ocean
Vampire World, Human Guild
Project Outbreak
Steel Tyrants: Blood and Iron
RE - Evolution : Falltieren ein
Rivals
Eternal Wisdom Library
School is now back in session!
Gunslinger Girl/Boy RP
Summit (Chp 1: Penance by Punishment)
A Distorted Reflection of Oneself
Red ♦Moon ♦ Academy ♦
RaptaSigma RP
Artes Academy
City of the Dead

Quote?: "Imagination is man's curiosity and emotions"

-->

Link | by on 2010-08-11 00:10:18
Lemme speak my piece. As someone who has been around and been in a lot of good/finished rp's back in the day, it hurts to see how these RP's are nowadays. I poke around these new RP's and one thing i hate so much is side stories and and lack of interaction with other players. Nowadays a player does more activity around their characters than others. The RP's i were in back in the day were just straight forward and down to the point which kept things live and interesting.

Part of the new age Gendou RP veterans: Kira, Rukia, KM Revolution, Smoker, Avian, L, and Ryu.

Link | by on 2010-08-11 01:24:54 (edited 2010-08-11 02:52:55)
Aww man. Looking at all those Rp's that never made it sort of gives a bit of gloom for anything past the second page. Especially considering they have titles such as "just started" or "open" etc.

I remember I made some characters that I actually really liked, and some conflicts that I wanted to resolve. It's a good thing H-san is making the Crossover RP, but it's still WIP at the moment.

Anyway, on making an RP continue, I kinda agree with the things that people have been doing. To add to that, building off of what Kira-san said, it's important to get the people to care about what's happening in the RP in general. I think a big turnoff of interest as RP's progress is that everyone's just following the lead of someone and has not much of an idea/are constricted in going off and doing their own thing. I dunno how to word it properly, but I think it's like the difference between following the story and actually contributing to it.

Alternatively, for said story RP's where everyone is cooperative, I guess people shouldn't be afraid of having some rivalries or general dislikes amongst the cast. I think it livens up the story a little, and potentially make the RP worth continuing with.

To make it short, if you can get from participating to contributing to the story, then it could extend the RP's longevity. It should also be the participant's responsibility to not just be a side character, and form some conflicts of their own.

Battles are a really difficult subject to say. The guide I go by is that you have to take a hit on occasion. Usually, I like to go ahead and be the first to stage damage, then see how the other guy reacts for a couple posts. If he gets by without a scratch, I would probably be less forgiving, if he's fair and takes some similar damage, then the exchange simply continues until one player is more impressed with the other's replies to the battle.

In the end it just comes down to good sportsmanship.
i think an RPer will also note the difference as illustrated here.

Not too good:

P1: A-Kun dodged, and threw his bat at B-chan

P2: A-chan quickly ran past the bat and kicked A-kun under the chin. "Hah! Now
watch this move!"

Better:

P1: A-Kun dodged, and threw his bat at B-chan

P2: The bat hit B-chan's shoulder, causing pain to go through her body. In a fit of rage, she charged at A-kun, executing a sweeping kick, powered by the force of her charge.

P1 (then responds): B-chan's kick caused A-kun to get knocked back, nearly falling down. He quickly regained himself, and charged at B-chan...

~~~~~~~~~~

Basically, be reasonable, have an imagination, and acknowledge that the other person can hurt you too. I also nice when your character comments on the opponent (not talking down on, but taking seriously).

I'll admit though, I'm guilty for some bad RPing manners myself, though I'm trying harder not to...

Well, long text aside, I think this threads a great idea!

Username: Ugopetamia
Nickname: Ugo

Started:

A Wandering Path 2: Tales of Sumeria (Active)
Point Luna
Summit
Mana Drive: Memories of Campus Constania
Ties of Blood: Memories of Harmonia

A Wandering Path (Finished)
Tale of the XX Ronin
High School Chronicle
Dream's Reality
Michiguy Hunting
Warzone ~Gunslinging Samurai~
Valkyrja Part 1
Tales of Umerin
Love Hina RP
Musician
Atheria Story
Destiny Card Battle
Valkyria Chronicles (Active)

Quote?: "Play nice, everyone!"

Link | by on 2010-08-11 02:43:03
Hey there, I'd like to join :D

I'm fairly new as i've only been Rp'ing for a year but i'm very dedicated and desperate to see an RP make it.

Username:tattered-cloak
Nickname:Cloak

Rp's I've been Involved In

Edinburgh King Academy
Scarborough High
Spiritbound
Gifted
Meta-Bestia

Quotes: Hana began running, picking up speed, not caring to see if the others were following her, longing only to feel the snap of the man's bones and the sweet pleasure of revenge. (From my favorite RP so far- Meta Bestia)

I think i've noticed some things about RP's that keep them going or cause them to fail-
-If an Rp starts too slow and doesn't get momentum, then the players lose interest and it dies before it's started
-If the Creator has a too clearly defined plot in his head then he wants all the players to follow, they become frustrated at the lack of creative freedom and leave
-But if every player goes off on their own plot it fails to
-The players have to at least be in the same country at the start, i think High School Rps work well because the players stay close and interact closely with each other

I've always wondered if a rule like: "If you don't post for three days without reason, your character dies" would work, but I guess people don't like it when there are too many rules.
Also do you think that an RP run by two members would work? That way they can alternate and one can take over if the other is absent...

And I definitely agree with Ugo, despite the No god mode rule there's always that one idiot who is the best at everything and totally invincible

Link | by zen on 2010-08-11 06:09:59
@Sayu_dear, it's really disappointing showing off and making their character so powerful yet useless when the RP started. =\

@Toyumi_i think, it's just up to the RPer's i mean, if they are truly dedicated then i think RP would be successful but if not, then it will surely dies. D:

Gendou RPer's United~!

Keiko Kubota (窪田 啓子)
&
Homura Akemi (暁美 ほむら)
are CLAIMED

By ZEN

Link | by on 2010-08-11 11:30:36
I think that the whole "Do not join if you're not a dedicated RP'er" started from me. I've had a few bad cases where people would join, not post at all, or just post one spot. And in the RP that I established that, there were only ten spots, and each of them were crucial. Every person contributed to the main storyline, and if 1 of them didn't post, the story would be over. Granted, I can't and wouldn't have turned them down, but it would make the rp die at the start, like the one I implemented this rule in did. The rule had no ill-will, but I was hoping that it would be able to keep the rp alive and going. It seems I was wrong.

I also find the act of invitations annoying sometimes. Because the only person that had sent me invitations (before I got Jon's), was the same person over and over. It got to the point everyday where I always had a message in my inbox asking if I had made up my mind. You'd think that if someone wanted to join they would.

As for balanced characters, this is one of the greatest flaws of most rps. There's always that one person that tries to make their character the strongest out of them all, and they get the idea in their head that they have to win all the time. I usually find this is the case with some RP masters that have the story revolve around their character, and not have each character make an equal contribution to the main storyline. That being said, they get the idea that the rp revolves around them, so they have to get some ultra power or something. And like Toyumi said, you have to sometimes act overpowered just to get on par with them, which would leave you feeling guilty after, that you had to do that. That's why I always give my character flaws, especially if they're portraying a human, since humans have flaws.

For example, say if your character is a sniper, a person who wanted to have an overpowered character would say: "My sniper is the best sniper in the world, he never misses his shot, and always kills the target in one hit." If the target was another player, that can cause major problems, since it is an insta-kill attack. But what I've started doing, is this: "My sniper, is a beginner, and has little experience with actually shooting. he misses his shot sometimes, and doesn't have steady enough hands to hit the target in the place he aimed for, causing the bullet to stray and hit the arms and legs sometimes rather than the torso."

Like Jon said too, the only way to really stop people from doing this, is being stricter with the ability range on the character sheet. This is only my 2 cents though, some of you may disagree.

Tales of FC

Link | by on 2010-08-11 13:48:59
@ Jon- So PM's would work? I've only tried those once, and that was for Vagabond Survivors. I was trying to get some of the members to reply to it, but it didn't work for me and the RP died. So I don't really trust the idea of PM checks too much, since you can always ignore a PM if you want to.

@ Kira- Yeah, I agree with you on the straightforwardness. I had too many side things going on in the last RP I made, Vagabond Survivors, and that just kind of screwed things up. I learned my lesson on straightforwardness then. XD

@ Ugo- I totally agree with having relationships among the cast in RP's like that, it does liven up an RP. The best example of relationships in an RP that I can think of is with Free and Dream. Take my character, Vivian, as an example. At the moment, she's married to Fenris, best friends with Anke, neutral with Aeon, mad at Vincent, and very mad at Shiroyuki. So there's a lot of relationships going on there. XD
And with having good sportsmanship in battles, I agree with that and it shouldn't be where one character gets the best shots all the time, they have to miss and get hit sometimes. I'm also guilty in that respect, but usually it's when I have to make my character overpowered to be equal to the overpowered opponent (So the battle will be fair).

@ Cloak- I agree with all of the patterns you listed. My last RP failed because of the first and third reason, I couldn't get it going fast enough and then a lot of the characters split up in the same city, making it hard for them to leave and for the adventure to start.
And I think that not posting for 3 days and they die is a bit harsh, because people get busy because of school or work or other personal issues. A week or two week's leave without warning or reason and then the character dies, that might work (I don't know about anyone else, but I try to post something once every three days, unless my character is stuck until another character responds or something similar to that).
And an RP run by two members would probably work out well. The two members could form it together, and it'll be easier to point out errors with two people to analyze the RP. Plus it would be easier to keep track of members if at some point they need to split up into two groups.

@ Haseo- I agree with everything you said about the overpowered characters and the skill level of the character. Like with your sniper example, I try to do that in RP's, and have my character miss their mark sometimes, but as the RP goes on the character will get better with this skill and be able to do more complicated things.

Link | by karuzo on 2010-08-11 17:48:27 (edited 2010-08-11 17:54:55)
@annadarktwin- Yeah... I think I am one of them... being imbalance If i could remember I did that... twice or trice or even five time... I could only recall in the two RPs... A Wandering Path and Angelic Demonic Warfare

and sometimes I lost interest sometimes... but its not intentional since that first no one posted second sometimes some RP's dont read much the posts and my RLS needed to be prioritize

I learned this the hard way...

-->

Link | by on 2010-08-11 17:56:35
Username: Generalhawkeye
Nickname: Anke

RPs I've Started
- Last Impression
- The Eyes of the Mist
- The Seirei House
- The Illusioned World

RPs I'm Active In
- Free and Dream
- Where is My Angel
- Dawn of Dreams
- Cycle Rondo

RPs I've Been in
- Secrets of the Crafted
- The Doll Maker's Tale

Quote:"My imagination is the only thing that keeps me sane."

Link | by on 2010-08-11 18:15:11
@Toyumi - It's been working for me so far in Valkyria Chronicles. Everyone has been kind enough to reply (or post in the RP after I sent out the PM) and using that I was able to find out that Zero wanted to drop out (otherwise I probably would have had no idea he left until a week or two went by without him posting).

This is the first time I've tried this, so maybe I'm just getting lucky. The only real problem with this method is that I'm usually sending out a lot of PM's. So whenever a summary is needed or I need to do a participation check, I have to send out between 7 to 10 PM's.

Link | by on 2010-08-11 18:31:35
@Jon: I seriously dont see the need to send out PM's tbh. I mean if the person doesnt want to RP anymore then just let them be. I know its an issue of the outcome of the RP but its not really worth it.

Another issue that i should bring up is the amount of originality in RP's, RP masters should be very careful not to make a story too complex so it feels like players can add anymore to the story and one thing i see alot is the repeating of the same type of RP's that dont go anywhere. Code Geass and Gundam RP's dont last too long nowadays but it seems like there is a new one made all the time and the same thing happens. Lets try some creativity but keep it so its reasonable.

Part of the new age Gendou RP veterans: Kira, Rukia, KM Revolution, Smoker, Avian, L, and Ryu.

Link | by on 2010-08-11 18:35:30 (edited 2010-08-11 19:14:40)
@Zero - The whole reason I do it is because some people just leave without so much as a word, and that becomes a problem. Participation Check PM's let me find out as quickly as possible when someone has dropped out or wants to. The PM's aren't to pressure people in to staying on board or to bring them back in case they want to leave, they are meant to get confirmation as quickly as possible when someone drops out.

Even though this is my first time doing it, I find these PM's to be really helpful. I haven't seen many people openly post that they are dropping out, usually they just stop posting and disappear.

The problem I see with people not spending a lot of time to craft their own RP from scratch is the fact that a lot of them do die out pretty quickly, and it kind of sucks to spend an hour or two coming up with all this original stuff only to barely go one week before getting shut down. I spent almost an hour hammering out the details and first post for my Valkyria Chronicles RP, and that is based off of an existing licence. It is more interesting to take part in an original RP, but I can see why people are more hesitant to put the time in to it.

@Ugo - I'm guilty of that too, back in my earlier days. In fact, I'm rather displeased with the quality of my RP'ing whenever I look back at older RP's I've been in. I read it and keep thinking to myself "That's really how I RP'd back then? I'm just spouting off dialog without any kind of descriptions.". My Gundam Seed FATE RP, as proud of it as I am, was really sloppy when I look back on it now.

Link | by zen on 2010-08-11 20:31:19 (edited 2010-08-11 20:35:40)
@Haseo_I didn't reveal your identity as to who said that to me until you reveal yourself which you already did. I believe in your concept and I think your idea is just appropriate. RP master should be stricter because they are the creator of their own RP and who's RP master would like to see their own RP dies? No one.

@Toyumi_yeah, I've been waiting for Vagabond Survivors for the member to post,,it's REALLY annoying that every member needs a reply for your character would be able to move. If they don't reply, your character would be stuck and it will be a pain on the part of other member to cope-up since they need a response to other member.

As for the PM's again, it is helpful nonetheless, but like what Haseo and the others said, it is annoying to receive RP related PM with the same sender over and over again telling you what-what...

For the overpowering of character, there's also a big flaws in some of the RP master, because they're the RP master, they tend to make their character the most powerful. What's the sense then of joining if you can actually stand for your own,ne? I really like Vagabond and I hope the RP would revive itself.

And one more thing, let's say we had an invitation, and for the sake of that RP master you joined. My opinion for that, if you really find it interesting then you may join, but just for the sake of that person who invited you, I may say that you better not join that RP at all. If you join an RP you're not that interested, you will end of being boring and sooner or later that may cause the RP to die. What do you think guys?

Gendou RPer's United~!

Keiko Kubota (窪田 啓子)
&
Homura Akemi (暁美 ほむら)
are CLAIMED

By ZEN

Link | by on 2010-08-11 21:39:35
I say forget it, whats the point of accepting especially if the RP master has had a bad rep of their RP's dying. Its a waste of time.

What are the chances of the Golden Age of RP'ing coming back? I just miss the rabid activity that used to be in GCity. It just seems so...dead now.

Link | by on 2010-08-11 22:05:22
@Zen - That's a problem with Invites. Sometimes people feel pressured or obligated to join, may not have an interest in the RP and then eventually drop out or stop posting because of that. If you get enough people like that joining then your RP is probably much more likely to die.

@Zero - Probably slim to none. It's been slow like this for quite some time, so it doesn't look like you'll see the kind of posting that used to go on, unfortunately. That being said, there are a few RP's that manage to get pretty consistent posts from it's members.

Link | by Black Rock Shooter! on 2010-08-12 00:19:12
@Ugo,
I too, had poor RP manners. I'm not sure about now though but at it feels it's not as bad as it used to be.

@Zen
I have to admit, throughout my many years of RPing, I guess I did some 'overpowering' during my early days of RPing, but kinda stopped after that after realizing overpowering can be too, well, in my case makes things feel less challenging and makes things mundane. These days I prefer to think things through before posting on an RP...then again, my RP style has kinda changed throughout the last 4 years(?).

As for invitations, I'd have to say I'm not really all for that. I have to agree on Jon there regarding being obligated to join. And it can really makes one feel uneasy to say reply back 'I'm not interested' in kind words if he's not exactly keen on it...

@Kira,
Originality wise, I could see some originality in the storyline on some of the RPs, that even I feel could be made into a manga or anime or even a light novel. For one, Jon's Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: FATE falls in that position, and so is Ugo's AWP series (which she adopted from Noh), then again, it's just my own opinion.

For one, a single person making an RP and hopes it'll be successful won't be enough, unless of course everyone is very enthusiastic about that RP. I'm thinking maybe a two or three man team running the RP might be a good idea (like what Ugo, Karuzo and I did for the AWP series) so managing it might be simpler and using PMs to discuss whatever is needed, or make a planning thread.

Find me at Twitter and Google+

Back | Reverse |
Go to page: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ... 49 Displaying 21 to 40 of 983 Entries.

Copyright 2000-2024 Gendou | Terms of Use | Page loaded in 0.0124 seconds at 2024-04-26 20:21:05