Back | Reverse | Quick Reply | Post Reply |

Re: A Little Insight on Txt Lnguage
Link | by h4xordude on 2006-09-27 14:46:56
Yeah, I have to agree with you all. Shortening words like that is just annoying and generally just makes it take longer to read.

|_337 15 7|-|3 0|\||_`/ 3><<3|^710|\| 51|\|<3 17'5 _||_|57 |=012 |=|_||\|!!1one!

Oh, and speaking of proper grammar, spelling, and being proper and all, Michiyo, you know you misspelled capitalization in your initial letter.
(it's got a z, not an s)

(translation for above: 1337 is the only exception since it's just for fun)

Beware the quiet people, You don't know their intentions
(small signatures are sooo much cooler since they don't annoy people trying to read through posts!)

Link | by hoheshii on 2006-09-30 23:56:59
No, capitalisation is also an acceptabe word.

Capitalisation

Wise Man says: "Take a dog off its leash and it will wander."

Link | by MiCHiYo μ on 2006-10-09 02:33:07 (edited 2006-10-09 02:33:55)
hahahaha~

h4xor dude, you're lucky i didn't do the whilst instead of while, or spelt instead
of spelled, and the likes. it's british, dear, british. ><

engineer, thanks for backing me up, sweets. ^^

-michiyo-

beware. the QueeN oF SiGGieS is here. kill that mr. scrolly or your siggy goes BAI BAI.
it's solidarity month! let's be united!
+[-- GeNDouNiaNS: i am half-back! visit my blog by clicking on the siggie banner! updated: 12.07.07 --]+

~*..:: i'm never going to give up... if i do, then it wasn't worth trying. ::..*~  

Link | by on 2006-10-15 11:29:44 (edited 2006-10-15 11:30:42)
I agree completely. I don't use things like that except for well known sometime things like, g2g and so on.

The one thing I hate more than that is this stupid 'leet' speak. I don't even bother to read anything written in that horrible language style. Some people say it's fun, but it's not it's just plain annoying.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Link | by on 2006-10-15 12:02:31
Although I don't dislike txt speak and 1337 speak, I can see where you are going. Unfortunately people habitually use it everyday, be it on cell phones, messenger programs, even on forums. But it's the degree of usage and the vocab the person has. For example, I'll speak the way I normally do for a moment.

personally i dun have any probs with this kind of stuff so long as ppl use simple terms and dun try to make things complicated using stuff that no one is goin to likely understand.

But as you can see, not everyone uses extreme, but I can see where you're going with it. It does getting highly irritating when people start to really use complex terminology that most people would not understand.

Actually it's kind of funny if you think about it. Txt speak was created to make things simplier, such as LOL, G2G, TTYL and such, but now it's gotten to the point that the once formerly simple language has turned into something that takes a little time to understand, rather than, a quick look, and then it clicks in one's mind. I have to agree on the fact that it's becoming widespread and the use of it on forums is quite annoying, in certain most cases. Personally that should be saved for instant messanging where people will for sure know a wide range of chat speak. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen, and people use it in forums.

But thank god it's not an official form of speak. I shudder to think what would happen should such a thing happen.

Link | by hoheshii on 2006-10-16 08:32:52 (edited 2006-10-16 08:33:12)
You know what's even worse? I know people that actually talk (with words, in real life) like that.

If they get mad at someone they'll say: "STFU!"

And they'll say: "OK, g2g, ttyl."

instead of:

"I have to go home now, see ya later."

Its quite pathetic, really.

Wise Man says: "Take a dog off its leash and it will wander."

Link | by Immortal on 2006-10-16 09:16:45
right! they speak like a computer! it wouldn't hurt if they try to speak properly. ^^

@h4xor dude...
shortening words is a headache! it looks like an alien wrote those text! ^^

Never forget the one whom you truly loved the most. People change but memories will never fade

Link | by MiCHiYo μ on 2006-10-19 23:17:37
haha~
either an alien, or you were just having a manicure/pedicure while you
were typing --- or texting. makes me wonder why people invented the vowels
in the first place. ><

by the way, doing such just might set the internet on fire.
don't know what i'm talking about? click here to see what gendou
had to say about it. ^________________^

-michiyo-

beware. the QueeN oF SiGGieS is here. kill that mr. scrolly or your siggy goes BAI BAI.
it's solidarity month! let's be united!
+[-- GeNDouNiaNS: i am half-back! visit my blog by clicking on the siggie banner! updated: 12.07.07 --]+

~*..:: i'm never going to give up... if i do, then it wasn't worth trying. ::..*~  

Link | by on 2006-10-22 22:54:54
I agree..Most of the time i can't really understand what someone is saying when they use text language...I consider myself still new to the English language...so it's a bit hard for me to get it. However...sometimes i do use the txt language..i got so used to it when i only had a certain amount of words to send in a text message so i started to using those...but...sometimes they come out when i write... I'm trying to get rid off it. ^-^

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting CHECK MY YOUTUBE!!! Subscribe yes? PAME'S YOUTUBE * Ohh Pame has a sounclick! pame's songs!

Link | by BUBsterella on 2006-10-27 15:03:55
I abhor text lanquage. I don't abbreviate words so much as phrases. BTW, g2g, brb, lol, lmao, and others I am guilty of spreading around. I can see the need sometimes-like if you're in class or driving or something, and you need to convey something quickly-of using certain forms of text speach, But people who do it when there aren't any pressing situations and are just trying to appear 'cool' or whatever is highly undignified, and a travesty to the wonders and complexities of human language.

I appreciate the people who take the time to spell out the word, 'you,' and know the difference between your and you're.

Link | by on 2006-10-31 20:05:15
i never got back to this for quite some time. anyway, text language is quite rampant here in the philippines. as much as i loathe the habitual literature slayer, it's hard to avoid. i mean, it'll take you forever just texting a friend one short message if you use the normal language. that's why i don't shorten my texts when i'm online.

i also hate the fact that people (mostly the youth of my country) use text language for writing. it burns me whenever i see someone write that stupid ";p" smiley on the chalkboard. it's no problem if they use it for SMS/forums/IM, but to use it in writing, one of the most beautiful forms of art and literature. bah! it's no wonder a lot of my classmates fail english (i don't mean to brag, but i'm actually the highest in class when it comes to english :3). let's see how they'd feel if their favorite singers use the l337 language (whatever that is) to write their songs. this isn't another breakthrough in literature, people. this is a big issue.

and those abbreviations. ugh! i despise them. this's mainly because when i was chatting with the hearthrob of the year (*sigh*) through SMS, he suddenly texts, "g2g," and i just had to ask what it meant. oh the humiliation! seriously, i don't know what LMAO means. i just recently found out that "brb" means "be right back." :P

i have a bad feeling this'll turn out to be an addition to the never-ending list of political issues. hey, they made illiteracy an issue. why should this be any different?

Link | by SiRi on 2006-11-01 03:37:44
It's really not good especially when talking to someone who are not into txt language.

Link | by Lady Maia on 2006-11-18 16:54:46
@michiyo and koganei: uiey~ uiey~ uiey~ I'm an alien.. but you can still read my posts right? :3 is it difficult reading my posts? aahh!! *getting nervous*

~

yeah... you can see me write like this: OMG! what happened?! or BRB! or GTG! even LOLZ~! I don't know why though. But can you imagine me writing like this:

*Laugh Out Loud*

No... I can't even imagine me writing like that. Why? because for me it's much more funny if we write it like this "LOLZ".

I can read and write Leet. I think it's fun. I see anything that is weird, out of the ordinary, foreign or interesting to me FUN. It's only irritating when you don't know how to read it. ^^ like when I first tried reading Leet/|_337. I ended up giving up and read other posts that are... readable :3 wai~ ^__________^

*insert epic picture here*

Link | by lil_ro_boi on 2006-12-15 07:45:12
i use it...so i cant say i have a problem with it lol
XD

Link | by BL4D3 on 2006-12-21 01:55:32
I also dislike the habit. However, I only realized how much I actually disliked it when a friend who speaks completely in SMS language started talking to me more... Weird

Link | by shinigami_shadow on 2006-12-21 02:39:35
It depends where I am. On IM, sometimes. I use it all the time in emails, but I can't stand to use it in forums!! You want people to be able to read what you wrote! >.<
fwee ^^

Link | by on 2006-12-23 09:12:31
hmmm..agreed..but sometimes..habit are hard to break..lol..like me..i use short forms for ME , YOU, YOUR and etc..

but i dont go into the extreme..where i cant even understand what the person is talking about..i try to at least let others know whadt i am typing about

RENO..IS CLAIMED..

Link | by Hirozanriu on 2006-12-27 19:01:54
for me is dificult to understand txt language in spanish, in english is far more dificult, so i dislike this tipe of writing.

P.D: I`m not to good in english, so, sorry for my errors. (n_nU)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Link | by »°z룣°« on 2007-01-03 20:04:17
i do use it..

but definitely not on the forums...

except maybe on the Pinoy threads...

so usually it depends on where i am...

Link | by Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting on 2007-01-05 02:47:59 (edited 2007-01-05 03:02:31)
Being a Grammar Nazi, I make it a point to NEVER use text speak. I made an oath to the Gods of Language that I shall protect and preserve the integrity of the written word. ~_^

But seriously, it is kind of annoying to read messages such as "O rly?" I am pretty poor at deciphering these things. We could sure use a lot of consideration, folks.

Furthermore, aside from angering the people you talk to to no end, you can actually acquire text speak as a habit, which is really bad.

I had to endure editing an essay written in this manner by a high school student. It was such a shame.

Back | Reverse | Quick Reply | Post Reply |
Go to page: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Displaying 21 to 40 of 104 Entries.

Copyright 2000-2024 Gendou | Terms of Use | Page loaded in 0.0050 seconds at 2024-04-27 05:45:35