Back | Reverse | Quick Reply | Post Reply |

Re: Want a translation? Need help? Ask here!
Link | by wd6cmu on 2007-02-23 17:10:39
That usage sounds a little wierd, but if that's the only alternative then I'll read it that way. Thanks for the help.

Link | by Eiko on 2007-02-23 17:39:17
To me, it sounds like you are supposed to put in your own vocabulary word where "kotoba" is in the sentence and make it your own. It probably makes more sense if you use one of the objects already described in the girl's room to finish the sentence. It sounds like an exercise rather than a lesson.

Link | by -yijern- on 2007-02-23 23:03:41
erm...it's actually like dis...my friend jokingly said 'taskete' which means save me..right? so i wanna reply 'sorry, i can't save you' but i don't know how to say it...so i ask here..so how do i say it??

thanks in advance..XD

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Link | by Eiko on 2007-02-24 07:16:47
say "tasukene" which is more like "I don't want to save you" if you say it jokingly. It's not polite, but this is a good friend and a joke, so it'll be ok.

Link | by rokuemon on 2007-02-24 17:13:55
To me, it sounds like you are supposed to put in your own vocabulary word where "kotoba" is in the sentence and make it your own.

ふーん! I think you found the missing context,栄子さん!

Link | by wd6cmu on 2007-02-24 23:23:10
I don't think so, that doesn't make sense in the context of the book.

Link | by アイザック (Isaac) on 2007-02-25 09:42:42
For context, try giving us more of the text before it. That would make it a bit easier to figure out. Background info is nice and all, but you really need to see the conversation before it to really figure out context.

Link | by Eiko on 2007-02-25 13:52:14
Ok, then what exactly is the book? You describe it as a reader, which means to me that it is book used to help people learn a new language, both vocab and grammar, usually used in context with a class. As such, a reader will have exercises for the student to complete. If it's not a reader, as I understand it, then what is it? Is a true story book? Or something else?

Link | by wd6cmu on 2007-02-25 16:07:03
They're called "Japanese Graded Readers", I got them through White Rabbit Press. No exercises, just short stories in furigana with gradually increasing levels of difficulty.

OK, I'll put in some more lines if I can figure out the keyboard:

大きい家があります。
とても大きい家です。

大きい家の大きい部屋に、女の子がいます。
部屋には、ものがたくさんあります。
絵本もピアノもテリビもあります。
人形もあります。

でも、一つだけありません。
それは、「言葉」。
女の子は「言葉」を言いません。
そして、笑いません。

I hope that's enough.

Link | by アイザック (Isaac) on 2007-02-25 16:46:32
Hmm,

I sorta get the feeling for it then. Perhaps the quotes are just because it's talking about "words" in general, rather than any in particular, or to bring focus to 言葉. Same type of thing if you used quotations similarly in english.

I guess it could be used without them as well. Though it honestly doesn't look like something that you should focus too much on.

Link | by wd6cmu on 2007-02-25 17:00:37
Could be something like that, although in English you probably wouldn't bother with the quotes since there's no previous mention of particular words. I try not to get hung up on any one thing, there's too much I don't know and I jump around between different aspects of Nihongo to keep it from getting tedious. But I'll keep an eye out for similar usage in the future, see if I can correlate it with something. Thanks again.

Link | by アイザック (Isaac) on 2007-02-25 18:21:09 (edited 2007-02-25 18:22:10)
Perhaps I didn't explain myself as well as I wanted: I just find that it brings more emphasis to 言葉 when quotations are used. It is talking about just the general term of "words" or language, but the quotations give it a bit more of an effect.

As you mentioned, you wouldn't need to really put them in in english, but think about times that you would. Putting things into quotes gives it a bit of a different effect and slightly more focus when you read it. The author probably just wanted to emphasize the word a bit more than normal. That's my take on it at least.

Link | by wd6cmu on 2007-02-25 19:48:51
I don't know, I think a quote is always a quote, i.e. an indication that someone other than the author said it. It might be used for a single word if the author is indicating some third party commonly uses it in this situation. But using it just to emphasize something the author wants to say is sort of putting words in someone else's mouth to make them sound more authoritative -- not good form. Anyway, I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, not everything people write has a logical explanation.

Link | by on 2007-02-27 02:35:01
i wanna know
english:
shut up
can you befriend with me?
nice to meet you
what your name

we met online, we chat somethime, we become bestfriend at last

Link | by rokuemon on 2007-02-27 08:27:40
Yuri chan

Shut up: usual translation urusai!
(means "noisy" but is often used for "shut up")

can you befried with me? (this is not very good English!) but how about:
tomodachi ni narimashou!
(let's become friends)

nice to meet you: here is the traditional introduction:
hajimemashite, Yuri desu! yoroshiku onegai shimasu!
(This is the first time, I'm Yuri! Please treat me kindly!)

what your name: onamae wa, nan desu ka? or just onamae wa?

Link | by sai on 2007-02-27 08:56:50
urusai is commonly used to say shut up indeed. But maybe the more accurate translation would be "damare" (silence!)

Anyway, i'd like a translation of a ful song lyric if you don't mind...

[romanji]
Title: Oborozukiyo ~ Inori

Na no hana batake ni irihi usure
Miwatasu yama no ha
Kasumi fukashi.
Harukaze soyofuku sora wo mireba,
Yuuduki kakarite nioi awashi

Satowa no hokage mo, mori no iro mo,
Tanaka no komichi wo tadoru hito mo,
Kawazu no naku ne mo,kane no oto mo,
Sanagara kasumeru oborodzukiyo

Kiite kiite
Hitomi tojitara
Kaze no hoshi no
Uta ga kikoeru

Na no hana batake ni irihi usure
Miwatasu yama no ha
Kasumi fukashi.
Harukaze soyofuku sora wo mireba,
Yuuduki kakarite nioi awashi

Haruka haruka
Tooi mirai ni
Tsuyoku tsuyoku
Kagayaki hanete

Subete subete
Haha naru daichi
Ikite ikite
Kono mune no naka

[kanji]
title: 朧月夜~祈り

菜の花畠に 入日薄れ
見渡す山の端(は)
霞ふかし。
春風そよふく 空を見れば、
夕月かかりて におい淡し。

里わの火影(ほかげ)も、森の色も、
田中の小路(こみち)を たどる人も、
蛙(かわず)のなくねも、かねの音も、
さながら霞(かす)める 朧月夜。

聞いて聞いて
瞳閉じたら
風の 星の
歌が聴こえる

菜の花畠に 入日薄れ
見渡す山の端(は)
霞ふかし。
春風そよふく 空を見れば、
夕月かかりて におい淡し。

遥か 遥か
遠い未来に
強く 強く 輝き放て

全て 全て
母なる大地
生きて生きて
この胸の中

Mmh... It sure takes a lot of space... Sorry, i wish i remembered how to make a table with html... -_-*

Anyway, i asked the translation because i think this lyric is kinda unusual... It's like... A poetry? At least i feel like that, so i'm interested... It's sung by Mika Nakashima, btw...

Link | by on 2007-02-27 22:48:41
re:rokuemon
hontoni arigato!

we met online, we chat somethime, we become bestfriend at last

Link | by rokuemon on 2007-02-28 12:21:36
Saikyou:

There is a translation of the first two verses here:
http://jiten.cside3.jp/oborozukiyo.html

(done by a Japanese person)

(One thing I would say is that the "yellow flowers" are oilseed rape, nasty smelling and they turn a lot of the country side a really horrible yellow. They are grown for vegetable oil.)

the rest of the song (starting "kiite kiite") says (in my bad translation):

Listen listen
If you close your eyes
The songs of the wind and the stars
Can be heard

(repeat 1st verse)

Far far away
In the distant future
Powerfully powerfully shine out

Wholly and completely,
Mother Earth,
Live on, live on
Within this heart

Link | by sai on 2007-03-02 08:22:09
@rokuemon
Ohh, thank you! This song seems to be a tribute to the nature... Nice...

Link | by Ryoko no baka on 2007-03-02 12:55:13
WAH! So many helpful tips here! I started to learn Japanese... but I had to stop cuz of school. ==_==... I'll be taking it up again hopefully, during the summer! eh... but before that, can someone tell me how to say:

"I wanna go too"

"what are you doing?"

And please tell me why there are suffixes like: "byon..." ...etc... Are they there just to add cuteness? or.. HUHN?!

Tasukete-okudasai-ne. Arigatou!

Back | Reverse | Quick Reply | Post Reply |
Go to page: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ... 18 Displaying 121 to 140 of 380 Entries.

Copyright 2000-2024 Gendou | Terms of Use | Page loaded in 0.0093 seconds at 2024-04-28 04:56:32