Back | Reverse | Quick Reply | Post Reply |

Re: Q/A, all about gendou.com
Link | by psoplayer on 2006-07-19 09:54:18
Specificly, bandwidth is the time that a user spends downloading from the server multiplied by the speed of that transfer of data. Basically, the size of all the data that was transfered through the server's internet connection. Anything you view on any website takes badwidth of someone's server. Your signature and avatar are using the bandwidth of photobucket.com, all the text of this forum is using gendou's bandwidth (so just browsing around the forums takes bandwidth, but in very tiny quantites).

Link | by i_want_to_flirt_with_drunk_sango on 2006-07-23 16:53:49 (edited 2006-07-23 20:24:43)
Did Gendou have to pay for his domain name? For that matter, does anyone know how paying for/using domain names has changed over the years?

Also, what are Riceboks's, Satchiel's, and PSO Player's avatars?

Link | by kawaii_ryu on 2006-07-23 22:45:34
Here new question for you gendou-sama :
1. How much do you like anime / Japan culture ?
2. What your first anime ? How old you watch that anime ?

Do you Like anime ? I really love Anime ^^

Link | by i_want_to_flirt_with_drunk_sango on 2006-07-24 00:30:32
Another question: you say everything is logged, well I am very curious, how does that logged material appear to you, and how do access it? Do you access a special page on the website, only available to you? I am very curious.

Link | by gendou on 2006-07-24 16:16:00
Yes, i pay for the domain name Gendou.com every 5 years.
It does not cost a lot, the price for registering domains has fallen over the years, and become more user-friendly (example: godaddy).

I used to watch a lot of anime, in high school. Now, i watch only a one or two series at a time. Busy busy.
I love japanese culture, and am an honorary japanese dude, as a matter of fact.
I watched Key the Metal Idol and Please Save My Earth on KTEH when I was maybe 13, those were my first anime.

All HTTP requests are logged by apache.
I only review those logs on a row-by-row basis if there is a problem.
My server uses analog for basic statistics reporting, which I occationally use to control over-use of the system.
All errors and anomalies generated on the PHP or MySQL level are kept track of in a database table, which I do reports on to identify and thwart hotlinkers on a daily basis.

Link | by i_want_to_flirt_with_drunk_sango on 2006-07-24 16:38:09 (edited 2006-07-24 23:24:48)
Who do you pay for your domain? Is it possible for someone to "outbid" you for your domain? And why did you choose "Gendou" as your persona, so do speak? And what do you mean by "honorary Japanese dude"? I'd like to be one too! Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, by the way!

Link | by psoplayer on 2006-07-25 22:00:28
My avatar is of Makoto Hyuga[wikipedia.org]. Sachiel's is (surprise!) Sachiel, the third angel[wikipedia.org]. I have no idea on ricebooks.

Link | by gendou on 2006-07-25 23:53:34
you cannot outbid domain names.
i chose gendou cause he rocks, of course.
"honorary japanese dude" means i was given the honor of being included as a japanese person by a japanese person.

Link | by i_want_to_flirt_with_drunk_sango on 2006-07-26 01:08:54 (edited 2006-07-26 01:09:09)
New, and probably last question for a while: please don't ever do this, but why didn't you use ads to pay for this site? I imagine it's because you hate ads? I do! Please, if at all possible, never employ ads on this site! They are so annoying, and they cheapen a site; ads would take a away from the unique feel of Gendou.com. The lack of flash movies asking me to slap Britney Spears and telling me I won the hourly prize (again? that's the 12th time today!) is one of the underappreciated aspects of Gendou.com. I'm more happy to know my donations may be keeping ads off this site, too!

Link | by gendou on 2006-07-26 09:33:16
You can thank the users who donate for the ad-free nature of gendou.com.
If it were not for them, I would have resorted to ads of some sort, or had to shut down the site altogether.

Link | by kawaii_ryu on 2006-07-29 03:05:17
ads will add more bytes on page load...
so, acctually its more expensive...

just opinion ^^

Do you Like anime ? I really love Anime ^^

Link | by MiCHiYo μ on 2006-08-05 09:14:26
gendou-sama, what are you going to do if someone shuts down your site? i mean, even if some nuclear bomb blasts and wrecks everything you have and will need to make you start from scratch, isn't it possible that they close it down again? i hope no one does! it rocks like so much! i can't believe you did all this... it's so good! it is, after all, your pride and joy... =D

-michiyo-

beware. the QueeN oF SiGGieS is here. kill that mr. scrolly or your siggy goes BAI BAI.
it's solidarity month! let's be united!
+[-- GeNDouNiaNS: i am half-back! visit my blog by clicking on the siggie banner! updated: 12.07.07 --]+

~*..:: i'm never going to give up... if i do, then it wasn't worth trying. ::..*~  

Link | by gendou on 2006-08-06 19:52:24
If somehow every line of code I have written were gone, i would start over. Never give up hope!

Link | by i_want_to_flirt_with_drunk_sango on 2006-08-06 20:01:04
When someone is banned from Gendou.com, what do they see when they try to come here?

Link | by gendou on 2006-08-07 19:20:03
if you get banned from Gendou.com, everywhere you go, you see blackness, you hear only the screams of a thousand babies, your skin burns white-hot in endless flame, and the stench of hot sulfer and feces fills your nostrils until the ban expires.

Link | by MiCHiYo μ on 2006-08-09 16:53:10
hahahaha! you might as well hear yourself scream, shishio! =D

Gendou, how long did it actually take you to learn all this? i mean, you mentioned that you've learned some of them previously, then in your company, then on your own... why didn't you bother to just enroll in some class and get a diploma at the same time instead of learning it on your own? i bet you'd get great offers from HUGE companies. =D

beware. the QueeN oF SiGGieS is here. kill that mr. scrolly or your siggy goes BAI BAI.
it's solidarity month! let's be united!
+[-- GeNDouNiaNS: i am half-back! visit my blog by clicking on the siggie banner! updated: 12.07.07 --]+

~*..:: i'm never going to give up... if i do, then it wasn't worth trying. ::..*~  

Link | by i_want_to_flirt_with_drunk_sango on 2006-08-09 20:29:40 (edited 2006-08-09 22:36:37)
That remind me, has anyone ever offered to buy Gendou.com from you?

Link | by gendou on 2006-08-09 22:32:45
i have had a few offers, none seemed genuine.

Link | by i_want_to_flirt_with_drunk_sango on 2006-08-10 02:01:46
Do a lot of people in your everyday life know about your website and how big it is? I would be bragging to everybody! XD

BTW you're very smart, have you tested your IQ? What is it?

Link | by gendou on 2006-08-10 09:21:57
by "all this" i assume you mean web programming and management skills.
well, my first website was actually an RPG midi page.
i had made a similar sort of thing in Hypercard, then wanted to see how it worked on this new "internet" thing my dad was talking about. (he is an english teacher, and wrote part of his dissertation using the university mainframe remotely from home)
i used an HTML what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor, which did not do tables well at all.
so, after publishing the page, i edited the HTML by experimental trial and error.
later, we got a 14.4mbps modem, which was fast at the time.
so, i downloaded my first mp3 files and was impressed with the quality and potential for sharing.
using our internet service provider's (scruznet at the time) complimentary web-space, i put up a few songs.
i was getting used to search engines by that time, and submitted my site to them.
the number of hits my website received was promising, so i expanded to further web-space.
the rest is history, going on to add a database for easy site maintenance and adding additional features using PHP.
originally, the database was Oracle (which sucks by the way).
actually, there was a year where some of the dynamic site features were done using Perl.
i actually made a database application from the bottom up, as a result of some of the stuff i was studying in school at the time.
other than that, my schooling never came DIRECTLY in handy with gendou.com.
however, the discipline and overall understanding of the computer world which i learned in school does come in handy constantly, whenever i am faced with a challenge.
to me, this is the true value of school.
you can learn facts anywhere, but methodology and patience come from dedicated (and often forced) work over time.
in any case, i later migrated to MySQL.
my PHP and MySQL knowledge helped me get my previous job, where i got more experience and lots of new ideas.

my cat niko helps me program!
she also runs into the sliding glass door.

Back | Reverse | Quick Reply | Post Reply |
Go to page: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ... 31 Displaying 121 to 140 of 629 Entries.

Copyright 2000-2024 Gendou | Terms of Use | Page loaded in 0.0120 seconds at 2024-05-03 05:42:30