Back | Reverse |

Re: The Animelyrics.com Controversy
Link | by Lammn on 2006-11-16 00:24:28 (edited 2006-11-16 00:32:02)
As a contributor (translator) to the original AL.com (now AL.tv), and in partially replying to Ricebok-san's question, I'd like to offer some of my opinions to this issue.

Yes, the lyrics databases of both AL.tv & AL.com look much the same for the time being. The future success of these sites will depend on several factors:

1. The support from the lyrics contributors.
As can be seen from the responses of most of our contributors, they either want their lyrics to be posted on AL.tv only, or are indifferent as to whether it's posted in AL.tv or AL.com as long as credits are given for their work. Personally I'll continue to contribute my translation/transliteration to AL.tv, not only because of the inherent community existing there, but also for the following reasons:

2. The system and control of lyric submission:
AL.tv has long established a system for lyrics submission. You can't submit lyric translation unless you have passed the level 2 Japanese translation test held by AL.tv. Similarly, you can't submit a romaji lyrics unless you have passed the level 1 Japanese transliteration test held by AL.tv. Personally I'd like to know if the new AL.com would adopt similar systems to ensure the quality of the lyrics they provided.

3. The availbility of a Japanese community as a Japanese consultation team:
In AL.tv there's a place known as the "Japanese Forum" where a lot of Japanese language experts are ready to answer the diffcult Japanese grammars or nuance of certain lines in a Japanese lyrics we encountered in lyrics translation. I find this "service" extremely useful in lyrics translation, and actually all our contributors benefit a lot from such service. Our Japanese community has basically "migrated" to AL.tv after the split. Though there's also a Japanese Forum in the new AL.com, it's still very green, and sometimes I find that the moderators post more than the ordinary users in that forum. :P

4. The decision made by administrator, namely Xazy:
Apart from the hard work she has rendered so far, Xazy has won most, if not all, of our contributors' love and respect. So her decision would also be crucial, and she has repeatedly stated that she will remain in AL.tv, though she has not yet decided as to whether or not she will continue working in the new AL.com.

I know my opinions are strongly biased in favour of AL.tv, because of the significant amount of time and devotion I spent in that site and with the people there. I sincerely hope that my words won't upset any parties involved, no matter AL.com, AL.tv or people here in Gendou.

Link | by Chibi Akutenshi on 2006-11-16 05:01:43
1. To which site should I direct my users for lyrics (.com or .tv) and why?
I say .tv. I'm a web prosuing web design as a career. 'Tis no easy
feat that's for sure. I feel my loyalty changing servers to.
2. Do you think it was right for Philip to remove Igor's ads from the site?
Here...No I don't.. He was under contract. He violated it so the
contract in theory was void.
3. Do you think it is right or Igor to use the content he took using a web crawler?
No. That's quite under handed. I feel like they both did a lotta
wrongs here. It wasn't his work. It wasn't his site.

I agree with Lammn's post completely. Now we'll just have to see who has more support I suppose. We'll just have to wait and see.

Link | by karuzo on 2006-11-16 05:15:18
I see..

I agree with Lammn san and Rcie boks and Akutrnshi, Chibi...

i dont know how this thing started and anything about it...

i agree in legal terms...

Chibi was right

he has no right .....

For today we thrust wo are using websites that they are after the service for the people not for self- intersts....

We will wait for more updates....

Agigatou gazaimasu

-->

Link | by SexyChamillion on 2006-11-17 15:55:10
Well...to tell the absolute truth...I seriously think that Igor has been wronged, and Xazy was COMPLETELY aggrieved by the other guys. I mean, how could you just ignore Xazy? And how could you do that to Igor? But then again...in Philip's case, money is pretty important when you live in the good ol' U.S. of A.(note the sarcasm). All in all, I'd have to say I'm pretty much polemic in this matter. But despite Xazy, Igor, and Philip's problems...you also have to consider your consumers. I mean, you can quarrel and fight and all that, but it's really not going to solve anything. If anything, it would worsen the problem, because your consumers would all be biased and would eventually decide to move to another site and make all three broke. You know what I mean? Well, I hope you guys settle this dispute--and soon, because I desperately need some lyrics. I'm sorry to say it, but this is a bit immature, don't you think? I would think that three esteemed leaders--yes, Philip could be considered esteemed, too!--could figure something as trivial as this out, right? Use those lyric-posting brains! Oh, yeah, and I totally agree with Hiyoko. Although, needless to say, I'm basically amateur material to this whole thing, so I can't exactly say too much about the situation. I just hope something good comes out of it for everyone. I hate to see such great people at blows like this.

Link | by Runa-chan on 2006-11-18 00:45:12
Well, at 1st....i really...really...really got disapointed.

Before i logged in 2 gendou lastweek, i kept wondering why did Animelyrics got splited.

Well, i got the answer now....

And so, anime lyrics (.tv) didnt hav english translation search anymore...

It'll be hard 2 learning Japanesse without english translation.

Will Animelyrics.tv be a good anime lyrics server?

Well, we dont no much

Link | by shirei on 2006-11-18 03:17:42
1. Please use the currently working site (.tv) for the sake of the users.
2. I don't know the answer. I think no matter what happens, what is important is that the AnimeLyrics legend will not fade away just because of this matter.

Thanks so much, Gendou-sama!

Link | by ... I don't need one on 2006-11-18 10:21:59 (edited 2006-11-27 18:00:25)
There are good options:

1. Make them shut up... tell them both to get lost, and tell them that it is one too many sites to have the same lyrics.

2. Whichever site you personally think is better (Rating), although you may not choose one site over the other.

3. Make a section just on lyrics for your site (move the lyrics to a seperate section). It will solve many problems.

4. Don't do anything bad, or anything at all to help the sites.

5. Go to each person, and be a "middle man" to help solve solutions.

Hope this helps... (Both sites are functional...)

www.animelyrics.com

www.animelyrics.tv

... I don't care...

Link | by rei on 2006-11-19 15:53:09
I've been using .tv and suddenly when I was on it, I got a virus warning from AVG. I don't know if it came from that site or the others I visited today (I also visted .com), but still...

1. .tv. I don't like the .com setup.
2. No ways! As long as they aren't explict, they provide needed renvue.
3. Even MORE no ways! That's just rude. Not your content.

Link | by p00ky~ on 2006-11-21 02:27:49 (edited 2006-12-01 18:14:11)
Hmmm...I have just found out about this .tv and .com thingy. Was interesting to read, but personally, I do not care much about about lyrics. I just listen to anime music. =P No offence to those who aim to understand songs.

Anyway, just to side-track slightly from the main topic.

Not sure if its the same PMak here, but, according to a certain number of players from www.animaro.com (not trying to advertise the gamesite), PMak is the owner of the server (who uses the name of Debbie as the GM).

The postings of those accusations has long been deleted by the GMs. And the players who posted them has long quit the server.

Why I am saying all this?

For those, who played the MMORPG "Ragnarok" before, should be able to understand most of the stuff I say here.

Ignoring the fact that PMak lied about his gender, players of ARo are somewhat encouraged by "Debbie" to donate cash (yes, real cash) to get very good equipments, in name of maintaining the server.

What does this mean? It means that lazy or rich players would donate quite a sum of money to "Debbie" to get very very good items and thus forming an elite class of players in the game. (like those really rich people IRL that we like to bitch about and some of those "elites" do get bitched sometimes in-game)

Also ignoring the whole issue on the legal aspect of having a private ragnarok server and the moral of making money from private servers, I think I can conclude that PMak quite rich already with this "money tree". Not to mention that the server had just hit a new record of players (2000+), which means, more people willing to pay money to be a cut above the rest ingame.

Adding on, PMak is a well known bot-programmer, whom (according to the same people who left the server) created the botting-program, skore. And according to the deleted postings, ARo is the testing site for his bot programmes.

Ironically, "Debbie" strictly enforces the "No-botting in server" rule and uses a bot-programme to catch these bots.

If the PMak is the same PMak that was mention in this thread, I suppose this could speak volumes about him. Either that, or this posting could be spam to you.

Not that I am trying to bad-mouth PMak, 'cause he has more or less provided a nice Ragnarok server for people like me to play.
But he has screwed up the economy of the game and the pockets of quite a number of people, even as he has mentioned he bough new hardwares for the game server from time to time again. ( yea right...that was said for months and the games still lags as hell)

Sorry to Gendou and those who think that this posting is way too off-topic or if you belong to "Debbie's fanboys" legion. (Gendou.com FTW! =P )

Link | by Gambler on 2006-11-21 07:41:05
I have to admit that animelyrics.com was a very good site to get the full meaning behind Japanese songs, and I had no idea that the shift in server was due to cash- or relationship- related problems.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Link | by 2kool on 2006-11-26 02:37:13
from what i gathered, both sides seem shadey, its kinda hard to say really.
it was wrong for igor to spider i think, and phillp should have been more careful entering into such a onesided partnership, that never works.

Link | by gendou on 2006-11-27 11:56:39 (edited 2006-11-27 11:59:11)
i have finally implemented a fully wiki-like lyrics editing system here on gendou.com!
because of this, i have decided to removed all external lyrics links.
the case is closed for this website, but which site you stay loyal to, if any, is up to you.

Back | Reverse |
Go to page: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 Displaying 81 to 92 of 92 Entries.

Copyright 2000-2024 Gendou | Terms of Use | Page loaded in 0.0068 seconds at 2024-04-19 18:15:13