Back | Reverse |

Re: The Animelyrics.com Controversy
Link | by alfonso_rd_23 on 2006-11-08 17:48:29
It's a hard subject... Animelyrics has been a Valuable source of Info in what Lyrics is about... I must say thanks to that site I know what to sing and what it does mean in my Native Language...

Could you not put two links, one to each site?

Link | by sesshyfan on 2006-11-08 19:57:13
Personally i'm at a loss as to exactly what is going on. I know that
1. Sailorbacon(sp?) is the original owner of the site
2. Igor got the site from______?
3. Xaxy(sp?) did the maitenance
4. Philip deleted ads from the site
5. Philip used a spider(?) to take info off of AL.com and put it on his website(?) AL.tv(?)

I'm confused on the details could someone explain everything to me plz.
Also how do you make money off of a website like that besides donations?
Gomen if it seems like a stupid question.
Also I liked the level 1 lyric person idea. It sounds good to me.
I'll watch the thread for a reply

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Link | by Xazy on 2006-11-08 22:40:37
Hi sesshyfan

I'll try to answer your points:

1. Sailorbacon(sp?) is the original owner of the site
Correct

2. Igor got the site from______?
Igor paid for the site to have the www.animelyrics.com address. Before that, it was hosted on some free site like Geocities.

3. Xaxy(sp?) did the maitenance
Yes, I did most of it, though some people helped me

4. Philip deleted ads from the site
He removed Igor's ads and put his own ads in.

5. Philip used a spider(?) to take info off of AL.com and put it on his website(?) AL.tv(?)
AL.tv is the very same database that used to be on AL.com. The NEW AL.com is the site that used the web spider.

"Also how do you make money off of a website like that besides donations?"
When you see an advertisement on TV or in a magazine, it is because that company paid the TV station or magazine to run their ad. Companies pay more to have their advertisements shown during popular TV shows because more people will see them at those times than, for example, 3am or in the middle of the day. Web advertising is similar, only because you don't know how many people will see the ad, the amount of money they pay you depends on how many visitors go to the site. So, a site that only gets 100 hits per month will make very little money compared to a site that gets millions of hits.

I hope that helps.

Link | by karuzo on 2006-11-08 22:58:35 (edited 2006-11-08 23:00:54)
ok that make sense..

igor bass buy animelyrics....

can igor bass be arrested???

just asking....

we will wait for any update abput this controversy

-->

Link | by belldandy428 on 2006-11-09 14:43:22
Igor Bass has always owned animelyrics.com He was the original person to purchase the domain name.

We have found the slight error in our coding, due to hasty coding to get the site up, and most, if not all, of the contributor credits are now showing. I appologize for any inconvenince this may have caused in the internim, it was not intentional.

No Igor cannot be arrested, nothing he has done has been illegal. From a strictly legal standpoint, all lyrics were submitted by a form to "www.animelyrics.com" so we have the rights to them. PMak wrote that into the submission form. While if people request them taken down, I am sure we will take them down, we would rather not, and have done everything we can to keep our site as high, if not higher, quality than the original. We're still going through growing pains so please bear with us ^^ Like this whole contributor issue was a big deal so we looked into it as fast as we could, but the entire site is not coded yet.

As per a response to Igor being passive about the whole issue. We were trying to resolve this quietly with as little drama as possible. The change in domain caught us by surprise and we were not prepared for it. Yes we had spidered the site, but did not have a database up and ready to work. As seen by the simple, small mistakes in coding. PMak changed to a new site ( the .tv) without notifying anyone, which caused this confusion.

Hope that clears up a bit more <3

Link | by gendou on 2006-11-09 14:53:14
From a strictly legal standpoint, a domain name cannot "own" anything! :P

Link | by belldandy428 on 2006-11-09 16:51:32
I didn't say "own" I said rights ^^. It was all in PMaks wording. But as I said if someone asked that their submissions be removed we would, because legal or not its the RIGHT thing to do. I'm just explaining how Igor cannot be arrested because he didn't do anything illegal. ^^ Please don't take it the wrong way ^^

Link | by gendou on 2006-11-09 17:07:13 (edited 2006-11-09 17:09:00)
rights are given to people and corporations, not domain names.
owning the rights to a domain name means you can point the DNS entries to wherever you like.
it does NOT mean you own (the rights to) what's on the server they point to!

Link | by sesshyfan on 2006-11-09 21:42:27
Arigatou Xazy for the explaination.
Another question. What is a domain name and what is the difference between a domain and a website?

Link | by EmptyMind on 2006-11-09 23:25:40
A domain name is what you type into your browser, such as gendou.com. When you visit a domain, your computer asks a service called the DNS what IP address to look for. That's all a domain name does. This is why you can have websites move servers without having the domain name change, as the DNS entries will simply point to the new sever.

The website itself is usually hosted on a company's server, which may be leased to various people. Almost all websites, except those run by companies with their own servers and bandwidth, are leased from companies set up explicitly to lease webspace and bandwidth. The website isn't tied down to a specific domain name. It's just info on a server.

The domain is what you type in, the webpage is what you see.

>,>; Did I just say that...?

Link | by Chrno Chrno on 2006-11-10 03:36:00
it might be a childish decision, but why not writing the story and redirect 2 link - when the user can choose which to enter on his on?

a lot of ppl wondered what happened to animelyric.com and I myself didn't knew untill I read that today.

it's never 'fair' to do somthing that's affecting others without asking them first, but it is life. you can even call that mistakes...

my offer is to put 2 links and let the user choose which to enter.

yay! siggy time!! XD

Link | by sesshyfan on 2006-11-10 11:37:30
Thanx for the explaination emptymind.

Link | by Fehrant on 2006-11-10 12:46:13
Before I say anything, I'd like to clarify neither result actually changes me, so as an unbiased user that barely uses gendou even more so than animelyrics.*, I'd like to state my humble opinion.

The situation is pretty complex. To be honest, I also think what makes it complex is what each side claims of the other, which can often become a contradiction. I was not there experiencing the situation with the creators and maintenance people, and I cannot honestly say I've been on a similar situation. However, one should be aware that a website is done for a community. Then again, idealistically speaking, a website --especially an anime website, I'd like to think-- is done for a small percentage of personal satisfaction.

Disregarding all the background that has brought the site to what it is today just for the sake of the community is harsh, in my opinion, because it ignores all the people's and staff's sweat and blood that made it possible. I think it's ok to ask the community for their stance on the case, yet from my point of view, the ones that should have the final word on the matter are the people that were there from the beginning, working sorely out of their own personal interests and passion, and not because the ads would or would not pay. I'm talking about Sailorbacon and Xaxy, whom from my perspective are the only ones who actually "feel" the situation.

We are just bystanders. We just want the lyrics. For them, it's something more. And that, I think, is what matters.

Link | by Rinji-chan on 2006-11-10 14:34:16
Personally, while I think removing ads and replacing them with your own wasn't the best decision, I think that a person webcrawling a website who had no hand in coding, putting together, or spending the years of time it took to build just jacking up once they decide to take back the name is horrible. I think it spits on all the hard work that Xaxy and SailorBacon worked to make and is a quick and selfish solution.

I would visit .tv simply for this reason, despite that phillip might have been a bit underhanded but what he did benefited himself, the webcrawling just seems to disregard the hundreds of contributors and maintainers. By reading the responses, there seems an attiude of self-deserving, like that because they own the website (but not the server by the end) that they have rights to everything despite the little work they put into it originally.

I'll stop before I get angry, but I agree with the .tv in the end.

Some people are born with tragedy in their blood.

Link | by Mirai no Yume on 2006-11-10 16:42:40
Having read the responses thus far, I can say that the only sure thing about this matter is that this conflict between the original site founders is a much greater hardship on both the individuals who actually hard stuff coding, maintaining and screening submissions, as well as the people who actually use the site, either making submissions, or simply looking for translations of their favorite songs.

On a practical level, I will probably use whichever site has what I'm looking for, but will use ".com" as a last resort, and go to ".tv" for it first, because, as a creative type who does most of his own work, spidering a database that others did most of the actual work of creating just doesn't sit well with my principles. (If someone cracked my computer, dug up all of my manuscripts and designs, and tried to post or publish them somewhere, I would be furious.) The fact that one party snuck a copy of the original-- which they claim a legal right to to begin with-- only makes this business seem even more convoluted.

My sympathies lie with Sailor Beacon and Xazy, etc, for all of their tireless work, regardless of how things shake down between the two sites.

Mirai no Yume

Link | by JSD324 on 2006-11-10 21:11:58
Well, to be honest, considering neither site has had new content added in over two years, I would link to whichever site updates first.

Link | by jouh on 2006-11-11 01:30:26 (edited 2006-11-11 01:50:38)
IMO, the one who earned any secret profits is 100% wrong. As stated in the partnership act, anyone who is part of the company owned fiduciary duties to it. This include not making any secret profits for the company. So what if Philip had contribute most of the coding of the website, he is just a volunteer, or maybe an employee for it. Igor, who is the first to register the domain name, is undisputable that he is the creator of the website, by law. that same goes for Xazy and the rest, indeed they did contribute most of the work, but by law, they will lose out because in the court's opinion, they are just volunteers. This is because they are not bound by any contracts (they have the obligation to withdraw anytime). Of course, since i know xazy are definately not interested in money, its just a pity.

To be frank, philip can be easily liable for earning secret profits, conflict of interests. By creating a similar website with similar domain name, it is very obvious he is using other people's name (eg. brand name) to earn money for himself through advertisements. There is definately a breach in copyright issue.

Btw, indeed he deserve some money in return for his service to the website. But without telling Igor and the rest about it, keeping the money himself, he is earning secret profits. And for that, he can be criminally liable. At least, Igor is willing to pay Xazy for any future work. Philip is just meer scandaling money out from others' contributions.

People! don't just look at how much contribution one had made. In reality, is all about money. A slave who work more than a stock broker and yet his pay is insignificant to him. So where is the justification. It is really the state of mind of someone you need to look at.

Money makes the world go around...

Link | by on 2006-11-11 16:50:55
What is the problem with typing the lyrics yourself instead of linkng to animelyrics.tv or whatever the site is now? If you are too lazy to even do that much, then just ask for us to donate lyrics. It's not a problem for us. And it's not even YOUR problem what anime lyrics is doing. That is, of course, unless you are some sort of branch of anime lyrics. If you are, then it's not your problem. If you're not, then forget them.

Link | by gendou on 2006-11-11 17:37:13
hahahh well put!
the only reason i raised the issue is because it interests me, not because i am a direct part of it.
although, animelyrics.com gets a significant number of its users from the links on site.
currently, i do plan on simply replacing all the animelyrics.com links (over 1,000) with my own wiki-lyrics page, once it's finished.

Link | by hirai on 2006-11-11 19:12:18
Maybe Im taking an odd side to this argument... but, it was a site for uses to find lyrics to their anime songs right??? So why is anyone making money off of this? All the site is for is information... to me it should be run on a completely volunteer ideal. People are providing anime lyrics cause they want to not for a profit.

you couldn't make me laugh if i was laughin' my ass off and you were makin' me do it

Back | Reverse |
Go to page: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 Displaying 41 to 60 of 92 Entries.

Copyright 2000-2024 Gendou | Terms of Use | Page loaded in 0.0055 seconds at 2024-04-25 23:41:23