Back | Reverse |

Re: The Depression Thread V3
Link | by DaedalusMachina on 2006-03-27 12:03:43
*sighs* I guess this is going to be a running thing, waking up with the same thought on my mind. I think I really need a one-on-one convo or something. I don't know.

In other news, they must have fixed the code, because now that thing stays on the top bar.

Link | by Jomunga on 2006-03-27 12:09:03 (edited 2006-03-27 12:11:09)
One can only guess what the future holds. If anything it is not like reading a book from the ending, but rather reading a book where you can easily guess what the endings like.

Elder Scrolls iv came today. Yay, I have to go to school though so I wont play it until tonight. Damn you bestbuy, this should of been here by Thursday.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketJomunga eats your avatars.

Link | by DaedalusMachina on 2006-03-27 12:11:33
Bah, I don't like them, either. And I know damn well life isn't like that.

Link | by ROQ sees ya. on 2006-03-27 13:26:13
Hey guys!

I entered a nationwide essay contest a couple weeks ago and I got into the finals! Top prize is $3000! Hopefully I win!

Anyway, Elder Scrolls 4 is pretty cool, too bad my computer is too normal to run it and I don't have a XB360.

As I was saying yesterday, is individuality a flaw? Although I sit right now in Michigan typing this, is someone across the world thinking and doing the same thing but in a different way? Are we even meant to contemplate our imprisonment? We are not truly free, from birth we are influenced and we die influenced by our lives. We are never truly individuals. To be true individuals, we would have to have innocence, something lost once we gain sense from birth. We are all now cynical or depressed, not because it's our nature, but merely because those around us forced us to be as such. The urge to suicide is the result of a poorly influenced life. If your life was positively influenced, you would simply want more and want to live longer. Even the duration of your life is influenced by those around you, humans really are social creatures...

Link | by D-ninja on 2006-03-27 18:01:24
Jeez you miss 1 day and there's 2 pages just siting there staring at you saying, "read me!"

Roq, hope your essay goes far.

This from an essay I'm writting for english. To preface it it's about weather the children from the lord of the flies met with social success. I'm not done with it, infact I'm only about half way though it. Enough blaber on with the poignant essay.(it's actually quite long and will be getting longer)

The children of the unknown island were met with mitigating circumstances that would lead to their eventual social decay. This social decay would bring about the failure of the children to maintain a civilized society by them selves. The brutal deaths of two of the children and the supposed death of another helped to solidify this social decay, leading to their eventual collective transformation into a brooding mass of uncivilized creatures. These factors as well as the lack of any adult supervision would allow the children to sacrifice the higher functions of their brain for the more primitive.

The children’s failure to maintain a discrete social system and order can be directly attributed to the rapid social decay. This decay in-turn can be derived from the children’s lack of social definition and experience. This absence of social development severely hampered the children’s ability to discern what social choices were needed to maintain the delicate balance needed for civility. One could then hypothesize that the children, with proper role models, might have been able to establish a viable social system with a definite leadership. However, there were no social bases for the children to use in their development of a social system. Thusly preventing any headway from being made in respect to social order, resulting in the fracturing of the group in to two radically differing bands. This delineation of the social system would be the ultimate realization of social decay.

As a direct result of the social decay the children exhibited signs of mob behavior. The children would rally around a particular action, event, or command and take these respective actions above their original connotation. The events of the fire on the top of the mountain served as the initial basis for the resulting mob-like behavior that would consume the children. The manifestations of this behavior can be seen in the brutal attack on Simon and the livid responses to Ralph’s speech at the rock. Upon the shoulders of these events the children would soon lose individuality and become, and act, as a single entity. The unanimous behavior is the direct result of the children not wishing to be excluded and alone for any period of time. This behavior would easily allow an individual to take control of the seething mass of children and forge their wills into his own wants.

I belive this ties in with what you guys were saying earlier about the concept of self and what-not.

Link | by Wolf on 2006-03-27 18:11:28
Life is a road we all travel. Death is a destination we all walk towards. So what we do as we travel along that road is all that really matters. What you stand for, what you don't. Who you meet, where you've been. All of these things make us unique even if some one else thinks the exact same way you do. They still are not you. A great line from Troy that I use is, "I chose nothing. I was born and this is what I am." So really when you look at it, you can't even choose to be yourself because you are anyway.

I don't really want an afterlife unless it includes me being coming back as a dog/wolf. That's pretty much the long and short of it. Another great quote from Achilles in Troy. It went something like, "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again."

Link | by ROQ sees ya. on 2006-03-27 18:20:03
Hey DNinja, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Your essay perfectly ties into everything. Very well written by the way! Interesting, a lack of individuality and a conglomeration of peoples can adversely mean that a true individual has total control. Therefore power is in fact individuality, as long as there are those who shall blindly follow. This gives me quite an idea...taking over the world simply requires deriving the people of their individuality and planting suggestions in their minds in a positive light towards you...that shouldn't be too hard...I wonder if misguided individuality leads to primal behavior. Pure concentrated individuality is like a recipe for social chaos, an acid that must be diluted by influence.

Out of curiosity, I have heard of the Lord of the Flies and have seen the movie, but never read the book. Is it good? Better than "A Lesson Before Dying"?

In order to maintain society's grasp on individuality, order is needed and an urge to be civil. This is all pointing toward complete totalitarianism over social anarchy. Oh well.

Link | by DaedalusMachina on 2006-03-27 18:26:01
@wolf - *giant grin* the gods envy us. Yes... I agree with that very much.

Link | by SkyAlchemist on 2006-03-27 18:37:17
Yes I also agree with Wolf's quote

Link | by nightmare on 2006-03-27 19:12:56
sorry ive been a little long, in relpyin, but wy wrist hurts form the MEAP test...

skyalchemist, i am heartly sorry i misjudged you...please accept my appologies...

i am really glad that you all have a positive outlook on life...i keep trying to look at the positives, but it never works...
case in point, you all keep telling me not to worry and that ill find a nice girl thats just right for me someday...but in the back of my head, i keep dwelling on the posibility that it will never happen...after all, can any of you say with 100% certenty that ill find a nice, kind girl and so forth? no, nothing in life is certain. i guess thats my main problem....but i make do with it...

as for the individualism thing...my ideas are kinda far form mainstreem society...mainly my religious belifes...plus, thw whole goth thing sets me apart....personally, i LOVE being different!

Link | by ROQ sees ya. on 2006-03-27 19:23:12
Welcome back Nightmare! Good luck on your MEAP!

To your lament, there is a slim chance life will turn out EXACTLY as we predict, but I live for the unexpected. There's a chance you'll find a girl far better than even you expected. Would you really prefer to be certain of most things in life? Quite frankly, since I know not what awaits me in death and considering that I might very well get bored in the afterlife, I'd rather enjoy life and retain the memories when I die.

Oh well, time for sleep. Kingdom Hearts 2 comes out tomorrow, so don't expect to see me on. ^_^

Link | by Wolf on 2006-03-27 19:30:47
Well man you're right, nothing in life is guaranteed. But doesn't that make it so much sweeter? If everyone had everything they wanted then what would make them wonder and dream? If you had everything you wanted then you wouldn't have any dreams. You wouldn't strive towards anything new or original because you would be lulled into a jaded state of existence.

Link | by DaedalusMachina on 2006-03-27 19:42:56 (edited 2006-03-27 19:44:28)
SHIT! WOLF!! damn... I was going to write that.

To annecdote that:
I don't consider myself to have a 'positive' outlook on life, that is, I don't think everything will be fine later on. The real matter is... I don't give a damn. I'd rather have pain than feel nothing, becuase that would justify my humanity.

*grins manaically* Bring on the problems, I'm bored.

Also... I'm interested to know about waffles, and the possible connection to arthritis.

Link | by Wolf on 2006-03-27 20:16:25
HAHAHAHA! Sorry man. So yeah about the waffles. I was sittin with my friends at a diner. I eat waffles like everytime I go out with my friends. Just because it's a random inside joke we have that started with me playing video games and my waffle philosophy theory. I asked the lady at the counter if she makes waffles this late at night. She said she'd be glad to take them out of the freezer and microwave them. My smart friend says, "No need he'll eat em straight from the freezer." So the lady actually brings out 3 frozen waffles. I didn't know what the hell to do so I started eatin em. I bite into one and all you hear is this ear piercing crunch from my jaw. The lady at the counter comes over and asks if I was alright. My other friend calmly looked over at her and straight face said, "Nah, he's fine. He just bit into a delicious pocket of arthritus." I laughed so hard I spat part of the frozen ass waffle out and onto the table of people sitting in front of us. Which made us laugh even more. So I got up walked over to the table and said, "Sorry I musta dropped this." Picked up the waffle and put it into my mouth again. By far the funniest night I've had in awhile.

Link | by DaedalusMachina on 2006-03-27 20:22:26
HNAHAHAHA/..... that is funny as hell... hahaha.

You should post that in "Memories that still make you laugh." hahaha.

Link | by Jomunga on 2006-03-28 00:28:08
GOD DAMMIT!
My graphics card is out of date, and I can't play Oblivion. I now have to go buy a new one and install it into my computer. That problem is I dont know how to do that! Ahhh, I wanna play the damn game! Can one bring their computer to Frys or someother computer store, buy a video card, and have the store install it also?

God damn.

Well I remember reading Lord of the Flies, I think one could watch the Simpson's Lord of the Flies spinoff and get the gist of the story. We read it in 10th grade(they read it at least) and watched the movie.

Nightmare, I know how you feel. I myself doubt the same for me, getting a cute girlfriend and all. At least I have myself. Yes, I adore myself at least. I have to say I also have the "I don't give a damn" attitude. I am sure nothing will matter once I am dead. The girlfriend thing is just something if I plan on living for a long time.

This thread has been going uphill eversince Wolf and Daedalus started postig. I am enjoying this.

wafuru, lol.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketJomunga eats your avatars.

Link | by DaedalusMachina on 2006-03-28 01:20:17 (edited 2006-03-28 01:21:57)
Jomunga - Yep, wolf and me, regular members of the brain-trust, we.

Fry's? Where are you? Is that a chain? Plus, instructions probably come with the video card.

Actually, I think this thread is getting out of hand, more or less. This has become more of a philosophy thread than a depression thread (and I'm not helping it one damn bit by posting this post, I don't give a damn). But, meh.. either you like to help depressed people, or you are depressed yourself, or both, in any of these cases, you tend to be philosophical.

Link | by Wolf on 2006-03-28 07:17:35
WOOO! My school didn't block the site. OH YEAH! Anyway, thanks for the compliment Jomunga. I'm just here to help with my own bit of experience, however small and meager. I figure if I can save someone else from doing one of the many stupid things I've already done then my job is done. Call it philosophy, I just call it life from my perspective.

Link | by D-ninja on 2006-03-28 07:47:20
posting from school so I'll be brief.

Jomunga, simply follow these instrutions for your graphics card. that and when you buy them they usually come with instructions on how to install.

We're just finnishing up the lord of the flies this week. We were supposed to finish it a week ago, obviously we got delayed. I've done 4 projects for this book alone. No homework though so that's nice. Anyway...I'll be finnishing that essay here by friday(I hope), so I'll post the compleated essay. By the way, the book sucks, spark notes is wrong, and I'd much rather poke my eyes out with a spoon than read it again.

Link | by nightmare on 2006-03-28 19:33:52
ok, ill give you that...life is more interesting when it is unexpected...the problem is (as usual) me!
i alwayse assume the worst will happen. see its not that i want everything to be all planned out, as you said, that would be boring as hell...im just thinking how nice it would be to be truly loved all the time for a change...i keep thinking how wonderful it would be, then my pessimsism comes in and says to myself "hey, you should stop that, you know it will never happen so stop getting yourself all worked up for nothing."
but hey, look at it this way, if im alwayse expecting the worst, i can never be dissapointed!...but then i still find a way for that to happen too....i hate me....

the MEAP was pritty easy and i just watched to coolest movie ever, "The Silence of the Lambs"....that movie was AWSOME!

Back | Reverse |
Go to page: 0, ... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, ... 69 Displaying 221 to 240 of 1397 Entries.

Copyright 2000-2024 Gendou | Terms of Use | Page loaded in 0.0208 seconds at 2024-05-20 15:32:34